Monday, November 8, 2010

Capital of Texas Zoo



We did get to see 2 day old baby piglets from this family


There is a camel in the background
One Saturday we decided to try the Capital of Texas Zoo out by the Airport in Cedar Creek Texas. Chris had warned me that it was a roadside zoo and not worth my time but being the strong-willed girl that I am, I had to prove him wrong. Um, ok he was very right - ugh!

I am always all about day trips to small towns around the Hill Country and so I decided this zoo, lunch and shopping in nearby Bastrop would be just as precious and fun as all my other excursions - well - not exactly. It was an experience.

The zoo is family owned and for the most part it was really sad. Large animals in very small cages. There are no trails - just animals all over in cages with no map or directions. There are also no signs as to what the animal species is in the cage. The craziest part is that there is an enormous area where 1 million guinea pigs roam - so a tiger is in a 12X12 cage but the guinea pigs take up a large field? The mountain lion could barely turn around but the donkey and goat had a whole field? Not good. Even Ash realized that it was pretty sad. But... we went and now I can say I did and don't have any need to return.

Bastrop was not what I expected either. There were some really cute yummy places to eat but for the most part the downtown "Mainstreet" shopping was closed on a Saturday afternoon at 2p. It was somewhat sad as you could tell that it was due to the economy as many storefronts looked like they would have been cute stores.

Overall, not one of my best trips but still a great day with Mimi and Miss A as she always keeps us laughing or on our toes with inquisitive questions!

No comments: