Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dress Up

Our house is in a constant state of role play. My daughter is rarely ever a 4 year old girl. 9 times out of 10 she is an animal or ET. Preferably a baby animal -"a newborn fox that is zero" or she is the mother animal to her multiple children animals of all varieties. She is very diverse in her love.

The outfits above and below are a mix of an angel costume and her swim hat from 2.5 years ago (please notice that it is a 6X for a 6 year old but it has not fit her large head for years) and of course the appropriate accessories due to our fixation with Fancy Nancy. The ensemble turned out a little 20's flapper meets 40's WWII businesswoman

Even our baby dolls dress up as reindeer

Sometimes we stage the transformation of a caterpillar going into his cocoon

emerging


into a beautiful butterfly

Other times it is a mix of an eighties sweatband and cowboy boots on a Saturday morning

so tough
I think Adults should play dress up more. Why do we ever leave it in childhood? Maybe we would love our careers, school, and lives more and wouldn't feel we were missing out on something because we could just pretend we could be anything we want to be!

... but somewhere along the lines we are told it is inappropriate.

I am really enjoying Ash's imagination ~ I pray it is never stifled!

2 comments:

cmjj said...

I agree with you!! I LOVE this stage, and fortunately mine still like to dress up too, so you still have many years ahead of you! Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

The only reason the hat doesn't fit her head is her gorgeous thick hair!